Want to see ANIK full AI Analyst Report?
Anika Therapeutics (ANIK) Risk Analysis
Risk Overview Q2, 2026
Risk Change Over Time
- Regulation - Risk 1We may experience difficulties or delays in securing regulatory approval for Hyalofast, which could negatively affect our business and financial results.
In July 2025, we announced topline results from our U.S. pivotal FastTRACK Phase III trial of Hyalofast, our single-stage, off-the-shelf, cartilage repair therapy, currently sold only outside the United States. This trial failed to achieve the pre-specified co-primary endpoints, although it did demonstrate consistent improvements in treated patients across all measures of pain and function relative to microfracture. Based on this clinical and other data, we submitted a PMA on October 31, 2025, with the FDA for Hyalofast. As expected, we received in January 2026 a deficiency letter from the FDA informing us that the Hyalofast PMA lacks information needed to complete its review. Among other things, the letter addressed matters related to chemistry, manufacturing and controls (CMC) and the statistical analysis plan for both primary and secondary endpoints and whether any of these endpoints achieved statistical significance. We plan to continue to engage with the FDA to explore potential approaches to address the FDA's concerns so that it might complete its review. Although there can be no assurance that we will be able to fully address the FDA's concerns, we continue to believe the totality of evidence presented in this study and the data from outside the United Sates demonstrates the clinical value of Hyalofast. Although we believe the totality of the data may be sufficient to support approval, there can be no assurance that the FDA will agree. Failure to achieve the pre-specified co-primary endpoints in the trial could materially negatively impact our ability to obtain regulatory approval or delay a decision by FDA. Moreover, the FDA may determine that any post hoc analyses or alternative endpoints we propose are not sufficient to support approval. Although the FDA may have used similar endpoints for other cartilage repair product approvals in the past, there can be no assurance they will apply the same standards in this case because, among other factors, these endpoints used by the FDA were not part of our original trial design. If the FDA's review of this submission is delayed, or if we fail to achieve regulatory approval for this product candidate, it would have a material adverse effect on our future revenue and adversely impact our business and financial results, including impairment of our in-process research and development intangible asset. Any unforeseen developments or delays could have a substantial negative impact on the timeline for and the cost associated with a potential Hyalofast regulatory approval, and our overall business condition, financial results, and competitive position could be affected.
Risk Highlights Q2, 2026
Risk Word Cloud
Risk Factors Full Breakdown - Total Risks 45
- Share Price & Shareholder Rights - Risk 1We have been, and may continue to be, subject to the actions of activist stockholders, which could cause us to incur substantial costs, divert management's and the board's attention and resources, and have an adverse effect on our business and stock price.
From time to time, we may be subject to proposals by activist stockholders urging us to take certain corporate actions or to nominate certain individuals to our board of directors. In February 2023, Caligan Partners LP ("Caligan") indicated that it intended to consider all available options, including nominating a slate of directors for election to the board of directors at our 2023 annual meeting of stockholders. In April 2023, we entered into a Cooperation Agreement (the "2023 Cooperation Agreement") with Caligan. Pursuant to the 2023 Cooperation Agreement, we agreed to increase the size of our board of directors to eight directors and appointed Mr. Gary Fischetti as an independent Class III director, among other things. On March 6, 2024, Caligan nominated two directors for election to our board of directors at our 2024 annual meeting of stockholders. In May 2024, we entered into another Cooperation Agreement (the "2024 Cooperation Agreement") with Caligan pursuant to which we agreed to increase the size of our board of directors to ten directors and appointed William R. Jellison as an independent Class I director and Joseph H. Capper as an independent Class II director, among other things. If Caligan, or another activist stockholder, solicits proxies for its candidates or proceeds with other similar types of actions, our business could be adversely affected. Responding to such actions by activist stockholders can be costly and time-consuming, disrupt our operations and divert the attention of management and our board of directors. For example, we have retained the services of various professionals to advise us on activist stockholder matters, including legal, financial, and communications advisors, the costs of which negatively impact our financial results and we may be required to retain additional services in the future, which could have a further negative impact on our financial results. In addition, perceived uncertainties as to our future direction, strategy or leadership created as a consequence of activist stockholder initiatives may result in the loss of potential business opportunities, harm our ability to attract new investors, customers, and employees, and cause our stock price to experience periods of volatility or stagnation.
- Share Price & Shareholder Rights - Risk 2If securities or industry analysts do not publish or cease publishing research or reports about us, our business, or our market, or if they adversely change their recommendations regarding our stock, our stock price and trading volume could decline.
The trading market for our common stock is influenced by research and reports that securities or industry analysts may publish about us, our business, our market, or our competitors. No person is under any obligation to publish research or reports on us, and any person publishing research or reports on us may discontinue doing so at any time without notice. If adequate research coverage is not maintained on our company or if any of the analysts who cover us downgrade our stock or publish inaccurate or unfavorable research about our business or provide relatively more favorable recommendations about our competitors, our stock price would likely decline. If any analysts who cover us were to cease coverage of our company or fail to regularly publish reports on us, we could lose visibility in the financial markets, which in turn could cause our stock price or trading volume to decline.
- Share Price & Shareholder Rights - Risk 3Our charter documents contain anti-takeover provisions that may prevent or delay an acquisition of our company.
Our charter documents contain anti-takeover provisions that could prevent or delay an acquisition of our company. The provisions include, among others, a classified board of directors, advance notice to the board of stockholder proposals, limitations on the ability of stockholders to remove directors and to call stockholder meetings, and a provision that allows vacancies on the Board of Directors to be filled by vote of a majority of the remaining directors. We are also subject to Section 203 of the Delaware General Corporate Law which, subject to certain exceptions, prohibits a Delaware corporation from engaging in any of a broad range of business combinations with any "interested stockholder" for a period of three years following the date that such stockholder becomes an interested stockholder. Those provisions could have the effect of discouraging a third party from pursuing a non-negotiated takeover of our company at a price considered attractive by many stockholders and could have the effect of preventing or delaying a potential acquirer from acquiring control of our company.
- Share Price & Shareholder Rights - Risk 4Our stock price may be highly volatile, and we cannot assure you that market making in our common stock will continue.
The market price of shares of our common stock may be highly volatile. Factors such as announcements of new commercial products or technological innovations by us or our competitors, disclosure of results of clinical testing or regulatory proceedings, government regulation and approvals, developments in patent or other proprietary rights, public concern as to the safety of products developed by us, and general market conditions may have a significant effect on the market price of our common stock. We have highlighted to investors increased volatility and uncertainty in the global macroeconomic environment and the changing dynamics associated with staffing shortages, supply chain disruption and inflation. These actions, as well as general investor uncertainty, could create volatility and unpredictability in our stock price. The trading price of our common stock could also be subject to wide fluctuations in response to quarter-to-quarter variations in our operating results, material announcements by us or our competitors, governmental regulatory action, conditions in the health care industry generally or in the medical products industry specifically, or other events or factors, many of which are beyond our control. In addition, the stock market has experienced extreme price and volume fluctuations, which have particularly affected the market prices of many medical products companies, and which often have been unrelated to the operating performance of such companies. Our operating results in future quarters may be below the expectations of equity research analysts and investors. In such an event, the price of our common stock would likely decline, perhaps substantially.
See a full breakdown of risk according to category and subcategory. The list starts with the category with the most risk. Click on subcategories to read relevant extracts from the most recent report.