Want to see ABUS full AI Analyst Report?
Arbutus Biopharma (ABUS) Risk Analysis
Risk Overview Q2, 2026
Source: the company's latest filing for the period ended Jun 30, 2026, filed Aug 12, 2026
Risk Change Over Time
- Innovation / R&D - Risk 1It may take considerable time and expense to resolve the clinical hold that has been placed on our IND application of AB-101 by the FDA, and no assurance can be given that the FDA will remove the clinical hold, in which case our business and financial prospects may be adversely affected.
On April 25, 2023, we announced that we were notified via verbal communication from the FDA that our AB-101 IND application has been placed on clinical hold, meaning we must suspend any ongoing clinical investigation, may not recruit new subjects to the study, and may not administer AB-101 to any subjects in the United States. For purposes of clarity, the Phase 1 clinical trial had not been initiated and we had not dosed any patients with AB-101. In May 2023, we received the clinical hold letter from the FDA, which raised questions about certain preclinical data and aspects of the clinical trial design. In July 2023, Medsafe approved our CTA application for a Phase 1 clinical trial in New Zealand for AB-101; however, there are no assurances that FDA will accept the results of such clinical trial and may require us to conduct an additional Phase 1 clinical trial or additional nonclinical studies. If the FDA does not accept the results of our Phase 1 clinical trial in New Zealand for AB-101 or requires us to conduct additional trials or studies, it may take a considerable period of time, the length of which is not certain at this time, and expense for us to fully address the FDA's concerns. Even if we are able to fully respond to the FDA's current concerns, the FDA may subsequently make additional requests that we would need to fulfill prior to the lifting of the clinical hold. It is possible that we will be unable to fully address the FDA's concerns and, as a result, the clinical hold may never be lifted and we may never be able to initiate our AB-101 clinical program in the United States, which could have a material adverse effect on our business and financial prospects.
Risk Highlights Q2, 2026
Risk Word Cloud
Risk Factors Full Breakdown - Total Risks 39
- Innovation / R&D - Risk 1We are in the early stages of our development, and there is a limited amount of information about us upon which you can evaluate our product candidates.
We have not begun to market or generate revenues from the commercialization of any of our product candidates. We have only a limited history upon which you can evaluate our business and prospects as our product candidates are still in the clinical trial stage of development and thus we have limited experience and have not yet demonstrated an ability to successfully overcome many of the risks and uncertainties frequently encountered by companies in new and rapidly evolving fields, particularly in the biopharmaceutical area. For example, to continue the development of our cHBV programs, we would need to successfully: - execute development activities using technologies involved in the development of our product candidates;- build, maintain and protect a strong intellectual property portfolio;- gain regulatory approval and market acceptance for the commercialization of any product candidates we develop;- conduct sales and marketing activities if any of our product candidates are approved;- develop and maintain successful strategic relationships; and - manage our spending and cash requirements to support our clinical trials, regulatory approvals, commercialization and the maintaining of our intellectual property portfolio. If we are unsuccessful in accomplishing these objectives, we may not be able to develop our product candidates, raise capital, expand our business or continue our operations. We are concentrating and intend to continue to concentrate our internal development efforts primarily on the development of product candidates targeting cHBV infection. Our future success depends in part on the successful development of these product candidates. Our approach to the treatment of HBV is unproven, and we do not know whether we will be able to develop any products of commercial value. There is no known functional cure for HBV. Any compounds that we develop may not effectively address HBV persistence. Even if we are able to develop compounds that address one or more of the key factors in the HBV life cycle (e.g., HBV replication, HBsAg expression and immune reactivation), targeting these key factors has not been proven to functionally cure HBV.
- Innovation / R&D - Risk 2Several of our clinical trials are currently or were conducted outside the United States, and the FDA may not accept data from trials conducted in locations outside the United States.
We are currently conducting a clinical trial at least partially outside the United States and we may conduct further clinical trials outside the United States in the future. We are currently conducting our clinical trial in the United States, Moldova, Taiwan, South Korea, and Hong Kong. To the extent we do not conduct our clinical trials under an IND, the FDA may not accept data from such trials. Although the FDA may accept data from clinical trials conducted outside the United States that are not conducted under an IND, the FDA's acceptance of these data is subject to certain conditions. For example, the clinical trial must be well designed and conducted and performed by qualified investigators in accordance with ethical principles. The data must be applicable to the United States population and United States medical practice in ways that the FDA deems clinically meaningful. The FDA also must have the ability to validate the foreign data through an on-site inspection or other appropriate means in the event the FDA considers such on-site inspection to be necessary. In addition, while these clinical trials are subject to the applicable local laws, FDA acceptance of the data will be dependent upon its ability to verify the data and its determination that the trials complied with all applicable United States laws and regulations. We cannot assure you that the FDA will accept data from trials conducted outside of the United States that are not conducted under an IND. If the FDA does not accept the data from such clinical trials, we likely would need to conduct additional trials, which would be costly and time-consuming and could delay or permanently halt our development of our product candidates.
- Innovation / R&D - Risk 3Because we have limited operational resources, we may decide to pursue a particular product candidate and fail to advance product candidates that later demonstrate a greater chance of clinical and commercial success.
We are a development stage company with limited operational resources and revenues. The product candidates we currently have under development will require significant clinical testing and investment of significant funds before their commercialization. Because of this, we must make strategic decisions regarding resource allocations and which product candidates to pursue. There can be no assurance that we will be able to develop all potentially promising product candidates that we may identify. Based on preliminary results, we may choose to advance a particular product candidate that later fails to be successful, and simultaneously forgo or defer further investment in other product candidates that later are discovered to demonstrate greater promise in terms of clinical and commercial success. If we make resource allocation decisions that later are shown to be inaccurate, our business and prospects could be harmed.
- Innovation / R&D - Risk 4Preclinical studies and preliminary and interim data from clinical trials of our product candidates are not necessarily predictive of the results or success of ongoing or later clinical trials of our product candidates. If we cannot replicate the results from our preclinical studies and initial clinical trials of our product candidates in later clinical trials, we may be unable to successfully develop, obtain regulatory approval for and commercialize our product candidates.
Preclinical studies and any positive preliminary and interim data from our clinical trials of our product candidates may not necessarily be predictive of the results of ongoing or later clinical trials. A number of companies in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries, including us and many other companies with greater resources and experience than we, have suffered significant setbacks in clinical trials, even after seeing promising results in prior preclinical studies and clinical trials. Even if we are able to complete our planned clinical trials of our product candidates according to our current development timeline, initial positive results from preclinical studies and clinical trials of our product candidates may not be replicated in subsequent clinical trials. The design of our later stage clinical trials could differ in significant ways (e.g., inclusion and exclusion criteria, endpoints, statistical analysis plan) from our earlier stage clinical trials, which could cause the outcomes of the later stage trials to differ from those of our earlier stage clinical trials. If we fail to produce positive results in our planned clinical trials of any of our product candidates, the development timeline and regulatory approval and commercialization prospects for our product candidates, and, correspondingly, our business and financial prospects, would be materially adversely affected.
- Innovation / R&D - Risk 5Our product candidates are in early stages of development and must go through clinical trials, which are very expensive, time-consuming and difficult to design and implement. The outcomes of clinical trials are uncertain, and delays in the completion of or the termination of any clinical trial of our product candidates could harm our business, financial condition and prospects.
Our development programs are at an early stage of development. We must demonstrate our product candidates' safety and efficacy in humans through extensive clinical testing, which is expensive and time-consuming and requires specialized knowledge and expertise. Clinical trials are also expensive and difficult to design and implement, in part because they are subject to rigorous regulatory requirements. The clinical trial process is also time-consuming, and the outcome is not certain. We estimate that clinical trials of our product candidates will take multiple years to complete. Failure can occur at any stage of a clinical trial, and we could encounter problems that cause us to abandon or repeat clinical trials. The commencement and completion of clinical trials may be delayed or precluded by a number of factors, including: - the results of the review of our pipeline and development plans for our hepatitis B programs;- delay or failure in reaching agreement with the FDA or other regulatory authorities outside the United States on the design of a given trial, or in obtaining authorization to commence a trial;- delay or failure in reaching agreement on acceptable terms with prospective CROs and clinical trial sites;- delay or failure in obtaining approval of an IRB or ethics committees before a clinical trial can be initiated at a given site;- withdrawal of clinical trial sites from our clinical trials, including as a result of changing standards of care or the ineligibility of a site to participate;- delay or failure in recruiting and enrolling subjects in our clinical trials;- delay or failure in having subjects complete a clinical trial or return for post-treatment follow up;- clinical sites or investigators deviating from trial protocol, failing to conduct the trial in accordance with applicable regulatory requirements, or dropping out of a trial;- inability to identify and maintain a sufficient number of trial sites;- failure of CROs to meet their contractual obligations or deadlines;- the need to modify a trial protocol;- unforeseen safety issues;- emergence of dosing issues;- lack of effectiveness data during clinical trials;- changes in the standard of care of the indication being studied;- reliance on third-party suppliers for the clinical trial supply of product candidates and failure by our third-party suppliers to comply with regulatory requirements or meet their contractual obligations to us in a timely manner, or at all;- inability to monitor subjects adequately during or after treatment;- limitations on our or our CROs' ability to access and verify clinical trial data captured at clinical trial sites through monitoring and source document verification;- lack of sufficient funding to finance the clinical trials; and - changes in governmental regulations or administrative action. We, the FDA, other regulatory authorities outside the United States, or an IRB may suspend a clinical trial at any time for various reasons, including if it appears that the clinical trial is exposing participants to unacceptable health risks or if the FDA or one or more other regulatory authorities outside the United States find deficiencies in our IND or similar application outside the United States or the conduct of the trial. If we experience delays in the completion of, or the termination of, any clinical trial of any of our product candidates, the commercial prospects of such product candidate will be harmed, and our ability to generate product revenues from such product candidate will be delayed or rendered impossible. In addition, any delays in completing our clinical trials will increase our costs, slow down our product candidate development and approval process, and jeopardize our ability to commence product sales and generate revenues. Even if our clinical trials are successfully completed as planned, the results may not support approval of our product candidates under the laws and regulations of the FDA or other regulatory authorities outside the United States. The clinical trial process may fail to demonstrate that our product candidates are both safe and effective for their intended uses. Preclinical and clinical data and analyses are often able to be interpreted in different ways. Even if we view our results favorably, if a regulatory authority has a different view, we may still fail to obtain regulatory approval of our product candidates. Any of these occurrences may harm our business, financial condition, results of operations, cash flows and prospects significantly.
- Innovation / R&D - Risk 6It may take considerable time and expense to resolve the clinical hold that has been placed on our IND application of AB-101 by the FDA, and no assurance can be given that the FDA will remove the clinical hold, in which case our business and financial prospects may be adversely affected.
On April 25, 2023, we announced that we were notified via verbal communication from the FDA that our AB-101 IND application had been placed on clinical hold, meaning we must suspend any ongoing clinical investigation in the United States, may not recruit subjects to the clinical trial in the United States, and may not administer AB-101 to any subjects in the United States. For purposes of clarity, the Phase 1 clinical trial in the United States had not been initiated and we had not dosed any patients with AB-101. In May 2023, we received the clinical hold letter from the FDA, which raised questions about certain preclinical data and aspects of the clinical trial design. In July 2023, Medsafe approved our CTA application for a Phase 1 clinical trial in New Zealand for AB-101; however, there are no assurances that FDA will accept the results of such clinical trial and may require us to conduct an additional Phase 1 clinical trial or additional nonclinical studies. If the FDA does not accept the results of our Phase 1 clinical trial in New Zealand for AB-101 or requires us to conduct additional trials or studies, it may take a considerable period of time, the length of which is not certain at this time, and expense for us to fully address the FDA's concerns. Even if we are able to fully respond to the FDA's current concerns, the FDA may subsequently make additional requests that we would need to fulfill prior to the lifting of the clinical hold. It is possible that we will be unable to fully address the FDA's concerns and, as a result, the clinical hold may never be lifted and we may never be able to initiate our AB-101 clinical program in the United States, which could have a material adverse effect on our business and financial prospects.
- Innovation / R&D - Risk 7We may find it difficult to enroll patients in our clinical trials, which could delay or prevent clinical trials of our product candidates.
Identifying and qualifying patients to participate in clinical trials of our product candidates is critical to our success. The timing of our clinical trials depends in part on the speed at which we can recruit patients to participate in testing our product candidates. We may not be able to identify, recruit and enroll a sufficient number of patients, or those with required or desired characteristics to achieve diversity in a clinical trial, or complete our clinical trials in a timely manner. Subject enrollment is affected by a variety of factors including, among others: - severity of the disease under investigation;- design of the trial protocol;- prevalence of the disease/size of the patient population;- eligibility criteria for the clinical trial in question;- perceived risks and benefits of the product candidate under study;- willingness or availability of patients to participate in the clinical trials;- proximity and availability of clinical trial sites for prospective patients;- ability to recruit clinical trial investigators with the appropriate competencies and experience;- availability of competing therapies and clinical trials;- efforts to facilitate timely enrollment in clinical trials;- ability to obtain and maintain subject consents;- patient referral practices of physicians;- risk that patients enrolled in clinical trials will drop out of the trials before completion; and - ability to monitor patients adequately during and after treatment. If patients are unwilling to participate in our clinical trials, the timeline for recruiting patients, conducting clinical trials and obtaining regulatory approval of potential products may be delayed. These delays could result in increased costs, delays in advancing or testing our product candidates or termination of the clinical trials altogether.
See a full breakdown of risk according to category and subcategory. The list starts with the category with the most risk. Click on subcategories to read relevant extracts from the most recent report.