Want to see SCYX full AI Analyst Report?
SCYNEXIS (SCYX) Risk Analysis
Risk Overview Q2, 2026
Source: the company's latest filing for the period ended Jun 30, 2026, filed Aug 10, 2026
Risk Change Over Time
- Share Price & Shareholder Rights - Risk 1If we fail to comply with the continued minimum closing bid requirements of the Nasdaq Capital Market or other requirements for continued listing, our common stock may be delisted and the price of our common stock and our ability to access the capital markets could be negatively impacted.
On June 20, 2025, we received a letter from the Listing Qualifications Department staff (the Staff) of the Nasdaq Stock Market (Nasdaq) notifying us that, for the last 30 consecutive business days, the closing bid price for our common stock was below the $1.00 per share minimum required for continued listing on the Nasdaq Capital Market as set forth in Nasdaq Listing Rule 5450(a)(1). The letter from Nasdaq had no immediate effect on the listing of our common stock on the Nasdaq Capital Market. In accordance with Nasdaq Listing Rule 5810(c)(3)(A), we had 180 calendar days from June 20, 2025, or until December 17, 2025 (the Compliance Date), to regain compliance with the minimum bid price rule. In December 2025, we announced that we had received an additional 180-calendar-day extension from the Nasdaq to regain compliance with the minimum bid price requirement, as outlined in Nasdaq Listing Rule 5550(a)(2). We now have until June 15, 2026, to meet the requirement for our shares of common stock to maintain a closing bid price of at least $1.00 per share for a minimum of ten consecutive business days. Nasdaq granted the extension after determining that we continue to meet all other continued listing criteria for the Nasdaq Capital Market, including the market value of publicly held shares, and we have provided written notice of our intention to cure the deficiency within the extension period, if necessary, through a reverse stock split. If the Staff concludes that we will not be able to cure the deficiency, the Staff will provide written notice to us that our common stock will be subject to delisting. At that time, we may appeal the Staff's delisting determination to a Nasdaq Hearings Panel. However, there can be no assurance that, if we receive a delisting notice and appeal the delisting determination by Nasdaq to the panel, such appeal would be successful. If our common stock is delisted from trading, it could have a material adverse effect on the price of our common stock.
Risk Highlights Q2, 2026
Risk Word Cloud
Risk Factors Full Breakdown - Total Risks 44
- Innovation / R&D - Risk 1Our research and development activities could be affected or delayed as a result of possible restrictions on animal testing.
Certain laws and regulations require us to test our product candidates on animals before initiating clinical trials involving humans. Animal testing activities have been the subject of controversy and adverse publicity. Animal rights groups and other organizations and individuals have attempted to stop animal testing activities by pressing for legislation and regulation in these areas and by disrupting these activities through protests and other means. To the extent the activities of these groups are successful, our research and development activities may be interrupted, delayed or become more expensive.
- Innovation / R&D - Risk 2If we fail to establish or lose our relationships with CROs, our drug development efforts could be delayed.
We are substantially dependent on third-party vendors and CROs for preclinical studies and clinical trials related to our drug discovery and development efforts. If we fail to establish or lose our relationship with any one or more of these providers, we could experience a significant delay in both identifying another comparable provider and then contracting for its services, which could adversely affect our development efforts. We may be unable to retain an alternative provider on reasonable terms, or at all. Even if we locate an alternative provider, it is likely that this provider will need additional time to respond to our needs and may not provide the same type or level of services as the original provider. In addition, any contract research organization that we retain will be subject to the FDA's regulatory requirements and similar foreign standards and we do not have control over compliance with these regulations by these providers. Consequently, if these practices and standards are not adhered to by these providers, the development and commercialization of SCY-247 and any future product candidates we may seek to develop could be delayed, which could severely harm our business and financial condition.
- Innovation / R&D - Risk 3SCY-247 and product candidates may have undesirable side effects that may delay or prevent marketing approval, or, if approval is received, require them to be taken off the market or otherwise limit their sales.
It is impossible to predict when or if SCY-247 or any other product candidate we may seek to develop will prove effective or safe, or whether we will receive marketing approval for SCY-247 and any other products we may seek to develop. Serious adverse events (SAEs) are common when conducting clinical trials in a seriously ill population such as patients experiencing IC. Preclinical findings in the future could trigger the need to evaluate or monitor for specific potential safety concerns in clinical trials. The results of our clinical trials may show that SCY-247 and any future product candidates we may seek to develop cause undesirable or unacceptable side effects, which could interrupt, delay or halt clinical trials, resulting in delay of, or failure to obtain, marketing approval from the FDA and other regulatory authorities, or may lead us to abandon their development altogether. We or others may subsequently identify undesirable or unacceptable side effects caused by SCY-247 or any future product candidate we may seek to develop, in which case: - regulatory authorities may require the addition of labeling statements, specific warnings, precautions, contraindications or field alerts to physicians and pharmacies;- we may be required to change the way the product is administered, conduct additional clinical trials or change the labeling of the product;- there may be limitations on how the product can be promoted;- sales of the product may decrease significantly;- regulatory authorities may require us to take our approved product off the market;- we may be subject to litigation or product liability claims; and - our reputation may suffer. Any of these events could prevent us or our current or potential future partners from achieving or maintaining market acceptance of the affected product or could substantially increase commercialization costs and expenses, which in turn could delay or prevent us from generating significant revenue from the sale of products.
- Innovation / R&D - Risk 4We have only submitted one NDA and one efficacy supplemental NDA before, and we may be unable to do so for SCY-247 in additional indications or any future product candidate we may seek to develop.
The conduct of successful Phase 1, Phase 2 and Phase 3 clinical trials is essential in obtaining regulatory approval, and the submission of a successful NDA is a complicated process. We have limited experience in preparing and submitting regulatory filings, have previously only sponsored four Phase 2 clinical trials and six Phase 3 clinical trials, and we have only submitted one NDA and one NDA Efficacy Supplement. Consequently, we may be unable to successfully and efficiently execute and complete our ongoing and planned clinical trials in a way that is acceptable to the FDA and leads to an approval of additional indications for SCY-247 or any future product candidate we may seek to develop. We may require more time and incur greater costs than our competitors and may not succeed in obtaining regulatory approvals of product candidates that we may seek to develop. In addition, failure to commence or complete, or delays in, our planned clinical trials would prevent us from or delay us in commercializing SCY-247 or any future product candidate we may develop.
- Innovation / R&D - Risk 5Clinical failure can occur at any stage of clinical development. Because the results of earlier clinical trials are not necessarily predictive of future results, any product candidate we or our current or potential future partners advance through clinical trials may not have favorable results in later clinical trials or receive regulatory approval.
Clinical failure can occur at any stage of clinical development. Clinical trials may produce negative or inconclusive results, and we or our partners may decide, or regulators may require us, to conduct additional clinical or preclinical testing. In addition, data obtained from tests are susceptible to varying interpretations, and regulators may not interpret data as favorably as we do, which may delay, limit or prevent regulatory approval. Success in preclinical testing and early clinical trials does not ensure that later clinical trials will generate the same results or otherwise provide adequate data to demonstrate the efficacy and safety of a product candidate. Frequently, product candidates that have shown promising results in early clinical trials have subsequently suffered significant setbacks in later clinical trials. In addition, the design of a clinical trial can determine whether its results will support approval of a product application, or approval of a supplemental application to add a new indication or other changes, and flaws or shortcomings in the design of a clinical trial may not become apparent until the clinical trial is well advanced. We may be unable to design and execute a clinical trial to support regulatory approval, or approval of supplemental applications for new indications or other changes. Further, clinical trials of potential products often reveal that it is not practical or feasible to continue development efforts. If SCY-247 or any future product candidates are found to be unsafe or lack efficacy, we or our potential collaborators will not be able to obtain regulatory approval for them and our business would be harmed. A number of companies in the pharmaceutical industry, including those with greater resources and experience than us, have suffered significant setbacks in Phase 2 and Phase 3 clinical trials, even after seeing promising results in earlier clinical trials. In some instances, there can be significant variability in safety and/or efficacy results between different trials of the same product candidate due to numerous factors, including differences in trial protocols and design, differences in size and type of the patient populations, adherence to the dosing regimen and the rate of dropout among clinical trial participants. We do not know whether any Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3 or other clinical trials we or any partners may conduct will demonstrate consistent and/or adequate efficacy and safety to obtain regulatory approval to market SCY-247 and any future product candidates we may seek to develop.
- Innovation / R&D - Risk 6Delays in the commencement, enrollment and completion of clinical trials could result in increased costs to us and delay or limit our ability to obtain regulatory approval for SCY-247 or any future product candidates.
We do not know whether our current clinical trials of SCY-247 will be completed on schedule or at all, or whether any future clinical trials of SCY-247 or any future product candidates we may seek to develop will be allowed to commence or, if commenced, will be completed on schedule or at all. The commencement, enrollment and completion of clinical trials can be delayed for a variety of reasons, including: - inability to reach agreements on acceptable terms with prospective clinical research organizations (CROs) and trial sites, the terms of which can be subject to extensive negotiation and may vary significantly among different CROs and trial sites;- difficulty identifying and engaging qualified clinical investigators;- regulatory objections to commencing a clinical trial or proceeding to the next phase of investigation, including inability to reach agreement with the FDA or non-U.S. regulators regarding the scope or design of our clinical trials or for other reasons such as safety concerns that might be identified during preclinical development or early stage clinical trials;- inability to identify and maintain a sufficient number of eligible trial sites, many of which may already be engaged in other clinical trial programs, including some that may be for the same indication as our product candidates;- withdrawal of clinical trial sites from our clinical trials as a result of changing standards of care;- inability to obtain institutional review board (or ethics review committee) approval to conduct a clinical trial at prospective sites;- difficulty identifying, recruiting and enrolling eligible patients to participate in clinical trials for a variety of reasons, including meeting the enrollment criteria for our study and competition from other clinical trial programs for the same indication as product candidates we seek to commercialize;- inability to retain patients in clinical trials due to the treatment protocol, personal issues, side effects from the therapy or lack of efficacy;- inability to produce and/or obtain in a timely manner sufficient quantity of our products to satisfy the requirements of the clinical trials;- inability to enroll patients, or slow down in the rate of enrolling patients, in clinical trials due to unforeseen natural disasters, public health crises, political crises and other catastrophic events or other events outside of our control, such as COVID-19, which may cause participants to not want to participate in these trials or otherwise have any unnecessary contact with the medical community; and - inability to obtain sufficient funding to commence a clinical trial. In addition, a clinical trial may be suspended or terminated by us, our current or any future partners, an institutional review board, the FDA or other regulatory authorities due to a number of factors, including: - failure by us, CROs or clinical investigators to conduct the clinical trial in accordance with regulatory requirements or our clinical protocols;- failed inspection of the clinical trial operations or trial sites by the FDA or other regulatory authorities;- safety or efficacy issues or any determination that a clinical trial presents unacceptable health risks; or - lack of adequate funding to continue the clinical trial due to unforeseen costs resulting from enrollment delays, requirements to conduct additional trials and studies, increased expenses associated with the services of our CROs and other third parties, or other reasons. If we are required to conduct additional clinical trials or other testing of SCY-247 or any future product candidates we may seek to develop, we may be delayed in obtaining, or may not be able to obtain, marketing approval for these product candidates. In addition, if our current or any future partners have rights to and responsibility for development of SCY-247 or any future product candidates, they may fail to meet their obligations to develop and commercialize the product candidates, including clinical trials for these product candidates. Changes in regulatory requirements and guidance may occur and we or any of our partners may be required by appropriate regulatory authorities to amend clinical trial protocols to reflect these changes. Amendments may require us or any of our partners to resubmit clinical trial protocols to independent review boards for re-examination, which may impact the costs, timing or successful completion of a clinical trial. If we or any of our partners experience delays in the completion of, or if we or our partners terminate, clinical trials, the commercial prospects for SCY-247 and any future product candidates we may seek to develop will be harmed, and our ability to generate revenue from sales of these product candidates will be prevented or delayed. In addition, many of the factors that cause, or lead to, a delay in the commencement or completion of clinical trials may also ultimately lead to the denial of regulatory approval of a product candidate.
- Innovation / R&D - Risk 7Although the oral formulation of SCY-247 has been granted QIDP status and Fast Track designation, this does not guarantee that the length of the FDA review process will be significantly shorter than otherwise, or that SCY-247 will ultimately be approved by the FDA.
We applied to the FDA for, and received, the designation of the oral formulation of SCY-247 for the treatment of invasive candidiasis (IC) and for prophylaxis of invasive fungal diseases (IFI) in patients who are at high risk of developing these infections due to being severely immunocompromised as QIDP under the Generating Antibiotic Incentives Now Act (GAIN Act). We also applied to the FDA for, and were granted, Fast Track designation for the oral formulation of SCY-247 for these indications. Receipt of QIDP status and Fast Track designation in practice may not result in a faster development process, review or approval compared to drugs considered for approval under conventional FDA procedures and does not assure ultimate approval by the FDA or related GAIN Act exclusivity benefits.
- Innovation / R&D - Risk 8A significant use of antifungal drugs consists of treatment due to the presence of symptoms before diagnosis of the invasive fungal infections, and if recently approved diagnostic tools, or additional tools currently under development, for the quick diagnosis of invasive fungal infections are broadly used in the marketplace, the number of treatments using antifungal drugs may decrease significantly, decreasing the potential market for SCY-247.
We believe that a large portion of the treatments using antifungal drugs are administered when symptoms of invasive fungal infections are present but a diagnosis of the infection has not yet been made, due to the rapid and potentially fatal progression of invasive fungal infections. Diagnostic tools recently approved by the FDA, or currently under development, for the rapid diagnosis of invasive fungal infections may significantly diminish the need to treat patients in advance of diagnosis of invasive fungal infections, which will reduce the potential market for SCY-247. Moreover, if a rapid and accurate test of the susceptibility of a fungal infection to generically available treatments is developed and widely adopted, the market for SCY-247 may suffer.
See a full breakdown of risk according to category and subcategory. The list starts with the category with the most risk. Click on subcategories to read relevant extracts from the most recent report.