ROCKAWAY, N.J., Sept. 21, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — electroCore, Inc. (Nasdaq: ECOR), a commercial-stage bioelectronic medicine company, today announced that the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has issued four patents related to its non-invasive vagus nerve stimulation (nVNS) and other technologies, including the following patents:
- U.S. Patent No. 11,406,825 entitled “Mobile Phone for Treating a Patient with Dementia” issued on August 9, 2022. This patent is generally related to nVNS therapies for treating neurodegenerative diseases, such as dementia or Alzheimer’s disease with a stimulator coupled to a mobile device, such as a mobile phone;
- U.S. Patent No. 11,432,760 entitled “Devices and Methods for Remote Therapy and Patient Monitoring” issued on September 6, 2022. This patent is generally related to nVNS that includes a stimulator coupled to a mobile device, such as a mobile phone whereby the stimulator is capable of transmitting data to the mobile device that includes, among other things, the position of the electrode(s) on the skin surface relative to the target nerve;
- U.S. Patent No. 11,439,818 entitled “Electrical Nerve Stimulation to Treat Gastroparesis, Functional Dyspepsia, and Other Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders” issued on September 13, 2022. This patent is generally related to nVNS therapies for treating post-operative ileus; and
- U.S. Patent No. 11,446,491 entitled “Stimulator for Use with a Mobile Device” issued on September 20, 2022. This patent is another in the series of patents that electroCore has received which are generally related to the use of nerve stimulators with mobile devices, such as a mobile phone. The patent includes device and method claims for generating an electrical impulse with a stimulator coupled to a mobile device and applying the electrical impulse through an outer skin surface to a target site in the patient.
“We are pleased to be granted these four new patents by the USPTO, which strengthen our intellectual patent portfolio,” stated Dan Goldberger, Chief Executive Officer of electroCore. “These new patents support our mobile connectivity platform, by using mobile devices coupled with a stimulator to deliver nVNS therapy. The addition of these patents underscores our commitment to advancing therapy beyond those who suffer from migraines and cluster headaches, and we look forward to continuing to explore the role of nVNS for various conditions.”
About electroCore, Inc.
electroCore, Inc. is a commercial stage bioelectronic medicine company dedicated to improving patient outcomes through its non-invasive vagus nerve stimulation therapy platform, initially focused on the treatment of multiple conditions in neurology. The company’s current indications are the preventive treatment of cluster headache and migraine, the acute treatment of migraine and episodic cluster headache, the acute and preventive treatment of migraines in adolescents, and paroxysmal hemicrania and hemicrania continua in adults.
For more information, visit www.electrocore.com.
gammaCore™ (nVNS) is the first non-invasive, hand-held medical therapy applied at the neck to treat migraine and cluster headache through the utilization of a mild electrical stimulation to the vagus nerve that passes through the skin. Designed as a portable, easy-to-use technology, gammaCore is self-administered by patients, as needed, without the potential side effects associated with commonly prescribed drugs. When placed on a patient’s neck over the vagus nerve, gammaCore stimulates the nerve’s afferent fibers, which may lead to a reduction of pain in patients.
gammaCore (nVNS) is FDA cleared in the United States for adjunctive use for the preventive treatment of cluster headache in adult patients, the acute treatment of pain associated with episodic cluster headache in adult patients, and the acute and preventive treatment of migraine in adolescent (ages 12 and older) and adult patients, and paroxysmal hemicrania and hemicrania continua in adult patients. gammaCore is CE-marked in the European Union for the acute and/or prophylactic treatment of primary headache (Migraine, Cluster Headache, Trigeminal
Autonomic Cephalalgias and Hemicrania Continua) and Medication Overuse Headache in adults.
gammaCore is contraindicated for patients if they:
- Have an active implantable medical device, such as a pacemaker, hearing aid implant, or any implanted electronic device
- Have a metallic device, such as a stent, bone plate, or bone screw, implanted at or near the neck
- Are using another device at the same time (e.g., TENS Unit, muscle stimulator) or any portable electronic device (e.g., mobile phone)
Safety and efficacy of gammaCore have not been evaluated in the following patients:
- Adolescent patients with congenital cardiac issues
- Patients diagnosed with narrowing of the arteries (carotid atherosclerosis)
- Patients who have had surgery to cut the vagus nerve in the neck (cervical vagotomy)
- Pediatric patients (less than 12 years)
- Pregnant women
- Patients with clinically significant hypertension, hypotension, bradycardia, or tachycardia
For more information, please visit gammaCore.com.
This press release may contain forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, statements regarding electroCore’s business prospects and clinical and product development plans; its pipeline or potential markets for its technologies; the timing, outcome and impact of regulatory, clinical and commercial developments; the issuance of US and international patents providing expanded IP coverage; the possibility of future business models and revenue streams from the company’s potential combining of nVNS and smartphone or application-based technologies; the availability and impact of payor coverage, the potential of nVNS generally and gammaCore in particular and other statements that are not historical in nature, particularly those using terminology such as "anticipates," "expects," "believes," "intends," other words of similar meaning, derivations of such words and the use of future dates. Actual results could differ from those projected in any forward-looking statements due to numerous factors. Such factors include, among others, the ability to obtain additional financing necessary to continue electroCore’s business, sales and marketing and product development plans, the uncertainties inherent in the development of new products or technologies, the ability to successfully commercialize gammaCore™, competition in the industry in which electroCore operates and general market conditions. All forward-looking statements are made as of the date of this press release, and electroCore undertakes no obligation to update forward-looking statements or to update the reasons why actual results could differ from those projected in the forward-looking statements, except as required by law. Investors should refer to all information set forth in this document and should also refer to the disclosure of risk factors set forth in the reports and other documents electroCore files with the SEC, available at www.sec.gov.